If you use Intuit QuickBooks Desktop, important changes are coming in 2024 that will affect your usage.
Starting on January 8, 2024, the fee for each direct deposit paid through QuickBooks Desktop Payroll will increase to $4.
- This price change impacts QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced Payroll for Accountants when using direct deposit to pay W2 employees.
- Intuit will send a 30-day notice to those impacted.
- For users on “legacy” Enhanced, Standard, or Basic Payroll plans without monthly per-employee fees, the new fee will apply when paying W2 employees via direct deposit.
After July 31, 2024, Intuit will no longer sell new subscriptions to the following Desktop products in the US:
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced Payroll
What is Not Changing
- Existing Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, Mac Plus, and Enhanced Payroll subscribers can continue to renew their subscriptions after July 31, 2024. Security updates, product updates, and support for existing subscribers will continue to be provided.
- All QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise subscriptions (Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond) will continue to be available for purchase for new subscribers after July 31, 2024. Enterprise Gold, Platinum, and Diamond include integrated payroll.
- Accountants can continue purchasing QuickBooks Accountant Desktop Solutions, including ProAdvisor bundles, after July 31, 2024.
Actions to Take
- If you have a non-subscription version of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, or Mac and wish to remain on Desktop, we recommend purchasing a QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Mac Plus subscription before July 31, 2024.
- If you have Pro Plus or Premier Plus and have been considering Desktop Payroll, we recommend purchasing a QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll subscription before July 31, 2024, or upgrading to QuickBooks Enterprise Gold, Platinum, or Diamond, which includes integrated Payroll and can be purchased after July 31, 2024. Alternatively, QuickBooks Online Payroll is available to Desktop clients and is a standalone full-service payroll solution that also offers HR support, Health, and 401K benefits.
- We also recommend that if you are a QuickBooks Desktop user, upgrade to the latest version of the software by July 31, 2024. QuickBooks Desktop 2024 includes the latest features and security updates. If you are on an active QuickBooks Desktop Plus subscription, there is no additional charge to access QuickBooks Desktop 2024, simply install the update.
QuickBooks will continue to support those on a Desktop subscription after July 31, 2024. If desired, QuickBooks online is an option to switch to that has many benefits enabled by an online platform that can’t be realized through desktop software, including time savings, the flexibility to work from anywhere, and a customizable ecosystem of connected business solutions.
It is our client’s choice on how to take action regarding this update. To remain on the Desktop platform if you do not have an active QuickBooks Desktop Plus subscription you will need to either purchase a Desktop accounting or payroll subscription prior to July 31, 2024. If you already have an active subscription, please be sure to upgrade to the latest version of the software by July 31, 2024. Or switch to the QuickBooks online version.
Call us if you have any questions on any of the above items. We will be happy to assist you.